DEMOCRACY DAY BROADCAST DELIVERED BY THE GOVERNOR OF OGUN STATE, HIS EXCELLENCY,
SENATOR IBIKUNLE AMOSUN CON, FCA, ON THE FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS ADMINISTRATION,
HELD ON SUNDAY, 29TH MAY, 2016.
My dear good People of Ogun State, today, the 29th of May, 2016 marks the end of the first year of our second term in office. We commemorate today, not just the re-birth of democracy in Nigeria, but also the restoration of good governance in Ogun State. This is because the emergence of our Administration five years ago marked a new beginning in our State’s effort to once again fulfil the dreams of our Founding Fathers. Today’s celebration therefore represents for us unique watershed in the evolution of our country and our State, most especially with our 5 Cardinal Programme as enshrined in our Mission to Rebuild Ogun State.
2. Looking back into the last sixty months of our Administration coupled with the celebration of the forty years anniversary of the creation of Ogun State on 3rd February earlier this year, we definitely have a lot to roll out the drums for and thank God. Our State has successfully risen to address the critical questions of development in all its ramifications. Let me therefore use this unique opportunity to, once again, congratulate the good people of Ogun State for the 40 years anniversary celebrations and also felicitate with us for the celebration of yet another anniversary of our mandate.
3. Our dear good people of Ogun State, much more than the celebration of the fifth anniversary of our Administration, this event, will among other things, affords us an opportunity to reminisce over the past and take stock of our stewardship. This will help us to map out new and better strategies for the future.
4. Undoubtedly, our Administration has continued to sustain our drive to attract investors to the State. It is on record that as at today, close to one hundred industries have berthed in the State. We have continued to hold our investors’ forum despite the economic crunch. The 3rd in the series was recently held on May 10 & 11. This has been a veritable platform for investors across all sectors of the nation’s economy to tap into the abundant resources that is prevalent in our State. The just concluded edition which was tagged, ‘’Emerging Economic Power House,’’ dwelt extensively on Agriculture, Environment and Transportation. The overwhelming advantage from all these fora includes, but not limited to, an opportunity to cross- fertilize ideas with the international community, multilateral agencies Industrialists, eminent personalities and experts from all walks of life.
It has also been a source of feedback mechanism for us to identify and assess our strengths, weaknesses, and unleash the latent opportunities that abound in our State. As a corollary of this initiative, we have remained an investment destination of choice in Nigeria, with almost 100 companies already in full swing in our State and more in the pipelines.
5. Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, you will agree with me that we have not deviated from our responsibilities since we came on board for the second term on May 29th 2015. Our first tenure was, without mincing words, a display of dogged determination, resilience, resoluteness and the unflinching commitment to the Mission to Rebuild Ogun State as envisioned in our 5- Cardinal Programmes. Needless for me to mention that without your collective commitment, dedication, perseverance, and endless co-operation through this period, all our achievements would not have been a reality. We will not rest on our oars, as all hands will be on deck to ensure that we deliver on all our electoral promises and continue to spread the dividends of democracy across the State.
6. Without doubt, our Administration has consistently kept faith with our 5 Cardinal Programme of:
* Affordable Qualitative Education;
* Efficient Health Care Delivery;
* Increased Agricultural Production/Industrialisation;
* Affordable Housing & Urban Renewal; and
* Rural and Infrastructural development /Employment Generation. The positive impacts from the faithful implementation of our programme have continued to receive accolades from both within and outside the shores of the country. As I will not want to dwell on our past achievements, you will agree with me that further developments have taken place since we began the second term of our Administration. Our dear State has continued to witness tremendous transformations in all aspects of life.
7. Dear good people of Ogun State, we must remain unwavering in our resolve to move Ogun State forward in the face of all challenges most especially as the effect of the dwindling allocation from the federation account has continued to bite harder. It is also important that we realize that whatever the inconvenience we go through now, in the course of fast- tracking our national development and the fulfilment of the Mission to Rebuild our dear State, is just temporary. We must therefore continue to give support to the Federal government ably led by President Muhammadu Buhari at the centre, as he has promised to walk his talk and together we can make our country great again.
8. It is a known fact that this address will not be complete without appreciating the invaluable contributions of our workforce, who have been the reliable, dependable and ever-supportive landlords in the past five years. You were, no doubt, the tower of our strength and together we shall continue to lift our State to its enviable heights among the comity of States in Nigeria, and indeed, the entire world.
9. I must equally not forget our Royal fathers, clerics, members of the Press; Civil Societies, Labour Unions, our students, private sector, and all other stakeholders for the positive roles you have all continued to play towards the realisation of our Mission to Re-build Ogun State.
10. As an Administration, let me reiterate our commitment to the fulfilment of our electoral promises. We know that Government is all about the people, and we shall continue to hold your interest at heart.
11. Once again, I thank you all for the journey so far and congratulate the entire good people of Ogun State as we collectively celebrate our fifth year in office. May our joy know no bounds (Amen).
12. I thank you all for listening. God bless.
Long Live Ogun State!
Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!
Senator Ibikunle Amosun CON, FCA
Governor of Ogun State, Nigeria.
Sunday, 29th May, 2016.