Former National Security Adviser, NSA, Sambo Dasuki, has on Friday, February 26, accused President Muhammadu Buhari, of planning to incarcerate him despite being granted bail by courts of competent jurisdiction.
Dasuki, through his lawyer Joseph Daudu, exhibited and displayed several newspaper cuttings, containing comments credited to Buhari vowing not to allow Dasuki enjoy his freedom, even if granted bail by any court.
Daudu, who led a retinue of lawyers on behalf of his client, urged Justice Peter Affen, of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, High Court, to enforce his order which granted bail to Dasuki, adding that justice is for all parties in any court action.
Dasuki has been accused of diverting N2.1 billion arms deal funds meant for prosecuting the war against the Boko Haram insurgents.
The Former NSA has been held incommunicado since his arrest last year, despite been granted bail by various court of competent jurisdiction.
Dasuki, disclosed that Buhari orchestrated his detention unjustly against various bail granted to him by three different courts.
In an affidavit filed in support of his application at the court, Dasuki said the president betrayed his emotions during his maiden media chat when he openly told Nigerians that he (Dasuki) and Nnamdi Kanu, the pro-Biafra leader, could not be released on bail, because they would jump bail.
He therefore, asked Justice Affen to prohibit his further trial until the federal government purged itself of the contempt of court which prevented him from filing effective defence, because of his continued detention by the State Security Service, SSS, without having access to his lawyers.
Dasuki’s lawyer, stated that the claim that the former NSA was being held by the SSS and not the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, could not hold water, because the federal government was the complainant in the charge against Dasuki and that both the SSS and EFCC are agents of the Federal Government.
Reacting to the application, the lawyer to the Federal Government, Rotimi Jacob, told Justice Affen that the charge against Dasuki was at the instance of the EFCC and not the SSS.
He denied that the federal government disobeyed the court, on the grounds that on December 29, 2015 when the bail conditions were perfected, Dasuki was released by the prison authorities at Kuje, but was however re-arrested by another government agency.
Jacob asked the court not to grant Dasuki’s application, because the SSS that re-arrested him was not a party to the charges before Justice Affen who granted him the bail.
On the newspaper publications, Jacob said they were not tenable before the court, because they were not certified as required by law.
After listening to the parties, Justice Affen fixed March 4, 2016 to give a ruling on the application.